Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Missed the Mars train

I don’t remember now why I didn’t watch Veronica Mars when it first aired. It was probably on against something I already watched, or maybe I had tap that night. I remember people discussing it, liking it…I liked Buffy, I liked Gilmore Girls, so VM is something that I’d probably like, too.

The DVDs came out, and I added the first season to my queue. In the years since then, I was spoiled for the first season, but that’s OK. And finally the first two DVDs came. And…wow. Hooked. Immediately. I’m tearing through it. (I wound up borrowing the entire series from a friend.) Last Wednesday I wound up watch the last six episodes of the first season, even though I should’ve been working.

The problem is that I have nobody to really talk to about it. Except for the friend who lent it to me, none of my friends have seen it. So I’m going through the old threads at TWOP and occasionally emailing the friend who lent me the DVDs. It just feels a bit silly to go over Veronica with Logan vs. Veronica with Duncan (I’m mid-second season; I understand why she’s with Duncan and I do like her with Duncan, but mmm Logan—there’s such heat there, you know?) (which is totally bizarre, by the way, because in general, I go for the good boys, not the bad boys—but Jason Dohring’s performance is just so awesome, and it’s such a great combination of jerkhole and vulnerability; plus, he’s not too hard on the eyes) when the debate is three years old.

(And I do see why she’s with Duncan. He’s safe and strong and consistent, if a bit closed off. After the past year, I can see why she’d fall back into a comfortable pattern. Logan is too unpredictable, too passionate, too challenging. And see the interactions among the three of them are fantastic.)

In any case, even though I tend to get obsessive about things, it is somewhat comforting to go to a place like TWOP and see that as obsessive as I am about these shows, there are people out there way worse than me.

No comments: