Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Screw it. I'm going to the mall.

I was watching How I Met Your Mother and I realized how much more I relate to the characters on that than I do with the Friends. At first I thought maybe the actors were younger, but that isn't the case. When the show started, the leads on Friends were 25, 30, 31, 27, 25, and 28; the HIMYM folks were 31, 25, 23, 32, and 31. So I guess that isn't it.

It's odd, though, because the Friends seem older than the people on HIMYM, but I can't put my finger on why. Ted and friends seem to interact more like my friends and I actually do; there's something natural in their interactions. I wonder if any of it is because I'm actually a contemporary of them, though; when Friends started, I was a junior in high school. I certainly enjoyed the show, but it didn't represent my life.

Not that HIMYM particularly does, either, at least plot-wise; maybe my friends are just more like Ted's. (And Ted is on my list of sitcom characters I'd date. Chandler is too, but Ted is a bit more...normal.)

No comments: