Sunday, June 15, 2008

Sing "This Nearly Was Mine," dammit!

So of course I watched the Tonys. Like I can resist! Some thoughts...

  • I don't feel that bad for Patti LuPone getting played off the stage, even though, as she said "It's been 29 years!" since she won. Lady, you've won before. I guess I can't feel that bad for her, you know? Also, I wasn't particularly blown away by the bit from Gypsy.
  • The tribute to Rent was because it's closing, right? I think I remember reading that. Because otherwise, random. And did they honestly have to tell the story behind it again? Good Lord, people, everyone watching the Tonys already knows it. I've never been a Rent-head, so the whole thing was meh, particularly since they original cast was recently brought together again for the movie. And the fact that they performed "La Vie Boheme," which really just epitomizes what I don't like about that show--there's just something that strikes me as pretentious about being all, "We're all different and that makes us superior and real and people in the suburbs are boring!" It's all pissing me off in a book I'm reading, so really, that song was the last thing I wanted to hear. Anyway. Daniel Evans was cute singing along to "Seasons of Love," though!
  • It was cool seeing Max and Laura in the Grease bit. Of course I had watched Grease: You're the One That We Want (or whatever it was called) (and yes, I am watching Legally Blonde: The Search for Elle Woods, what of it?), so it was nice seeing them. They both seemed to be doing pretty well, and I'm glad for them.
  • I was a bit bummed that there wasn't a long tributed to Sondheim (who actually got a lifetime achievement award, Rent; you were all, "Blah blah, we changed theater!" Yeah, well, so did Sondheim, only he did it better). Loved the little acceptance speech he sent, though I do wonder where he is. And interesting choice for the song from Sunday in the Park With George, which I love love loved when I saw it. "Move On" is one of my favorite songs from it.
  • Totally bummed that they didn't do "This Nearly Was Mine" in the South Pacific performance. Seriously, that song is awesome. It was kind of weird watching that, because the other night I was watching the Lincoln Center concert of it. What's that? You want to see Brian Stokes Mitchell performing it? Well, I can't say no to that.
  • I did enjoy the snippets from older shows, though not necessarily the addition of Whoopi Goldberg to them. It might've been nice to have something for Phantom, as it was 20 years ago that it won the Tony. And what was with the highlights from previous Tonys? There were only, like, two. Seemed a bit random.
  • I really liked the In the Heights song; at first I had wondered what the one guy's acceptance speech had been about (and by "wondered about" I mean "was a bit annoyed by") (I still kind of am, but at least it makes more sense now; I mean, can he not just talk normally?). If it makes it to D.C., I might have to check it out.
  • It's impressuive how it consistently ends on time, even with the insanely long commercial breaks.
  • I was eh on the Crybaby song, but I really liked the choreography. The license plates on the feet was awesome. And I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the selection from Xanadu.
  • Passing Strange was interesting; I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I really liked it at first, then a little less when Stew started singing. I think I'd need to hear the entire thing before going to see it. And the lead guy (not Stew; Daniel Breaker) looks familiar, but I haven't seen him in anything. Mysterious.
After the show ended, I was flipping around and caught a bit of the TV Land Awards, which seems to be hosted by Vanessa Williams, who looked a bit pissed off when I saw her. I'm sure that it's prerecorded, but my theory is that she's pissed that she wasn't asked to present at the Tonys.

(And how funny was it when Daniel Radcliffe and Richard Griffiths presented? You could tell that Daniel was cracking up, all, "We were this close to no Harry Potter references!" At least he was amused, not pissed. And they were so cute together!)

No comments: