Monday, July 28, 2008

Nine v. Ten

I finally caught an episode of Doctor Who with Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor, not David Tennant. I had been wondering for a while how much I'd like the show without Tennant, because I found him incredibly likable (i.e., he's cute). The verdict is: It was weird, but I enjoyed it. It helped that it was a good episode. I do still find the whole thing kind of odd, but I guess others have adjusted.

The thing that's particularly weird is that other shows have had multiple actors play one character, but with Doctor Who, the character himself changed a bit when he's regenerated. Everywhere else, the character is essentially the same. But the Doctor himself changes a bit when he regenerates, and I still find that a bit odd. Eccleston's Doctor still had a bit of the humor that Tennant's Doctor has, but Nine seemed a bit harsher, meaner than Ten. I don't know much about past Doctors, but each had his own personality, and I'm still trying to adjust to that.

Fortunately, I have a bunch of episodes with Nine stored up on my DVR. I'm particularly looking forward to the end of his run; I just wish I still had The Christmas Invasion (Ten's first full show). I may just have to break down and Netflix the complete seasons.

No comments: