Sunday, August 31, 2008

Also, commentary on the sleeping habits of guinea pigs

A few years back, I received Great Expectations in the mail, one chapter at a time. (Maybe one section at a time; I can't quite remember, and I've gotten rid of them.) It was neat knowing that that's how people read Dickens's books originally. It also had the cool 19th century illustrations.

And now the Orwell Trust, Political Quarterly, and Media Standards Trust are publishing George Orwell's diaries as a blog, exactly 70 years after he wrote the entries. (Apparently, they're also posting it as tweets on Twitter.) It looks like the political stuff will start in early September; right now, it's a lot about the weather and snakes he finds in garden.

I admit that other than Animal Farm, I haven't read any Orwell, or even really know much about him. (No, I have not read 1984.) But this has definitely gotten me more interested in him. Good thinking, people! Technology rocks.

No comments: