Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Technology and classic comics do not mix

Is anyone else disturbed by the latest storyline in Garfield? Jon got a laptop (making Monday an odd comics day, between Jon getting a laptop and Dithers firing Dagwood via e-mail in Blondie), and now Garfield is using it to communicate. Today he was in a chatroom with other cats; yesterday he actually typed "Feed Me". This totally freaks me out. I mean, I've not infrequently thought that it would be helpful if my cats could communicate with me directly, but something is wrong with Garfield being able to type. One of the questions about this strip is whether Jon understands Garfield's thought bubbles. But Garfield doesn't need thought bubbles! He can just type out his snide comments!

Of course, virtually all of them will boil down to "Feed me," "I hate Mondays," and "Yay! Lasagna!" So maybe it doesn't make such a big difference.

No comments: