Thursday, November 6, 2008

Also, Doris Kearns Goodwin is awesome

Brent and I went to the taping of The Daily Show on Monday, the night before the election. It was awesome, though it did involve a lot of waiting around. (Which I didn't really mind, actually, as I had spent the morning doing a lot of walking around, so sitting was totally cool with me.) I was bummed that none of the correspondents were there (how is John Oliver supposed to meet me if he doesn't bother showing up when I'm at the taping?), but still had a blast.

One thing I noticed was that Jon was much quieter. As in, the clips are all pretty loud, but his mic must be hooked up to something else, because he sounded quite a bit softer than the video clips. It wasn't hard to hear him, but there was a marked difference.

Also, watching the taping from farther away was weird after being so close watching on tv, if that makes sense. I didn't really feel that the studio was particularly small, but it just all seemed kind of far away, despite the fact that we were in the third row.

Now I'm just wondering what it would be like to go to a Colbert Report taping. Also, what it'd be like to go to a taping that wasn't the night before Election Day. Jon does a Q&A before the taping itself, and except for one question, they all dealt with the election. It's really interesting to hear him speak, but it'd be cool to see him talk about maybe more personal stuff.

No comments: