Thursday, November 13, 2008

Living the Privileged life

I finally watched this week's Privileged (I really shouldn't say "finally", as I have two episodes of Gossip Girl and the entire season of Life patiently sitting on my DVR), and was reading what other people on Television Without Pity thought. The main character, Megan, has had three guys interested in her this season--though one is out of the picture now, thankfully--and people were discussing how they wish she would just be single, as it makes sense for her at this point.

I can see the argument. It can be frustrating watching shows where the characters have guys falling over themselves all the time. And the character has dealt with a lot, and probably shouldn't be with either of the love interests at the moment, for various reasons, related to her and to them individually.

But honestly, I watch television (and movies, and read books, etc.) as an escape. I'm quite familiar with the life of a very single 20-something, having recently been one myself. (And a week in, the life of a very single 30-something [oh God, I'm a 30-something!] doesn't seem terribly different.) I watch that sort of show to live vicariously through the characters, and while everything doesn't have to revolve around romance--I do realize there's more to life--it's nice to see cute, rich guys being interested in characters I relate to.

I'm easy that way.

No comments: