Monday, January 26, 2009

It would only be my 4th time!

Phantom of the Opera was the first show I was obsessed with. My dad was an Andrew Lloyd Webber fan, so he bought the records pretty soon after they were available. For years I was dying to see it, but tickets were unpossible to get. I can't tell you the number of hours I spent in the basement of our house acting it out. The records came with a libretto, which helped immensely (particularly during "Notes," which has, like, 20 people all singing different things at the same time). I actually had those notes written out. That show taught me what the word "queue" means. ("But Andre, have you seen the queue? Oh, it seems you got one, too." It took a while before I realized that the word didn't mean "letter.") Seriously, a good 7 years or so, it was all about Phantom with me.

Of course, by the time I actually did see Phantom, I was deep into my Les Mis period. Also, my seat was such that I couldn't see the top half of the stage, much less the chandelier when it was more than, say, 10 feet off the stage. But anyway.

Phantom was love for me for quite some time, and today marks its 21st anniversary. Tonight is performance 8,732. Crazy, huh? And now, thinking about all that, I kind of want to see it again.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"Unpossible"? Wow, you really MUST be stressed.

Barb said...

It's from the Simpsons--"Me fail English? That's unpossible!" So now I generally say "unpossible." Similar to how I say "Canadia," not "Canada." This probably isn't good; I doubt I actually made a conscious decision to use "unpossible."