Monday, May 25, 2009

Also, that's not what Smithsonian ID badges look like

I saw Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian last night. It was enjoyable enough, even without having seen the first one (which is lost somewhere in my Netflix queue); it helped that I was in an easily amused mood. And really, any movie that has that much slapping of Ben Stiller is at least somewhat worthwhile. Of course, it also had huge plot holes (proximity to the tablet is what causes the objects to come to life, yes?), most of which I could ignore. I couldn't stop my horrified reaction to what they were doing to the museums, though. So much destruction! I can't even think about it without shuddering.

But what really annoyed me is the depiction of Stiller's character, Larry. Since the first movie, he's become a successful inventor, complete with infomercials (win!). Naturally, this is a bad thing. You can tell because he only makes it back to the museum every couple of months, answers his phone a lot, and an assistant says that he'll have to cancel his daughter's birthday to help prepare for a big presentation (though Larry goes off to work on it by himself). Obviously he has sold out and is now without joy. Because being successful is bad, kids. I'm certainly not one to condone working insane hours (she says, in the midst of spending a good chunk of the holiday doing work), but starting a successful is not a bad thing. I'm sure there are people who are happy being night watchmen at museums, and quite possibly Larry is one of these people, but the message left an overall bad taste in my mouth.

On the other hand, the movie did have Amy Adams. She can do no wrong. Love! In fact, let's all feel better by watching her sing "That's How You Know" in Enchanted:

No comments: