Saturday, September 26, 2009

Don't question the quality of free music

I live in the downtown part of my town, and every Saturday there's a farmers market, and from 10 to 11, live music. Which means that I'm woken up every Saturday by music. It's not bad, really, and it keeps me from sleeping in too late. (I make up for this by napping later.) So naturally this morning, I woke up and heard music. I realized that the group was playing "Got to Get You Into My Life" by the Beatles. Only...they were not doing such a great job of it. They were, in fact, doing a pretty horrible job of it. I'd say the singer consistently forgot maybe 50% of the lyrics. If you don't know the lyrics, don't sing the song!

As I got up and wandered around the apartment, I continued to listen. I could hear enough to make out the songs and some of the words, but not all of them. I'm still not sure whether they were doing Simon and Garfunkel's "The Boxer" or a parody of it. The singer consistently sang, "I lied, lied, lied!" in the chorus, and he didn't have a lot of the other lyrics right, but he had enough right to really make me question what he was doing.

I'm not even going to mention the Michael Jackson medley.

While it has been interesting, I can't say I'm disappointed that this was the last week of live music on Saturday mornings. I look forward to uninterrupted sleeping in...3 weeks. Which is the next time I'll be able to sleep in, unimpeded, on a Saturday morning.

No comments: