Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Paying the price

Ads on websites are something we've all accepted. The Internet is free; dealing with the ads is the price we pay. And usually, they're not too bad and it isn't a big deal at all.

I do get annoyed on sites that, after clicking a link, direct you to a short ad, and THEN you get to where you wanted to go. Now, I don't mind in certain cases. But I do get annoyed when it's a website for a publication to which I subscribe. I wish the Washington Post would have a way to realize that I subscribe when I’m fooling around on its website and spare me the ads. Ditto Entertainment Weekly. EW gets a bit more of a pass, as I don’t have to sign in to access content there. But I do for WaPo. If I’m one of the (relatively) few people who’s actually spending money for these publications, the least I could ask is for fewer ads on the websites that I’m subsidizing.

No comments: