Sunday, December 13, 2009

Daily Show prototype

In reading the Daily Show With Jon Stewart thread at Television Without Pity, I found a YouTube clip of Jon doing stand-up in 1996.



The thing that's amazing about this video--other than the fact that it's still funny, 13 years later--is how much this is like the current Daily Show. I know it shouldn't really be that surprising; after all, Jon Stewart is obviously a very smart guy who's had these opinions for quite some time. But it's just so odd to see the young Jon giving what could almost be a current monologue; I mean, I guess I just think of him as the guy on MTV, not as someone thinking about politics. Maybe in my mind he just didn't become political until starting at TDS in 2000. Which is silly, I know. I mean, obviously there was a reason they chose him to be the host.

No comments: