Monday, March 1, 2010

Phantom of Coney Island

There have been rumblings about Andrew Lloyd Webber doing a sequel to Phantom of the Opera for years. I tried to convince myself that it wouldn't happen; he wasn't that crazy. Unfortunately, he is. I kept getting alerts about something called Love Never Dies from Andrew Lloyd Webber, and, firmly in denial, was convinced that it was another compilation album. I can only wish.

And then a friend sent me a link to the official Love Never Dies website. A website that includes the video for the song "Till I Hear You Sing." I'll ignore the fact that apparently Lord Lloyd Webber has forgotten the fact that the Phantom is an insane serial killer. No, what got me was the fact that they made a cheesy video in the first place. I didn't realize they still did that!

Confession time: In the early 90s, I owned a video of the ALW Premiere Collection Encore, which had videos of a number of ALW songs, including "Phantom of the Opera" and "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again." I think Sarah Brightman was on about half the songs on the video. I owned the video because of one person: Michael Ball. He created the role of Alex in Aspects of Love and I am was totally in love with him. I created a whole story based on the video of "Love Changes Everything." And, bless you, Internet!, I found another one of the videos he was in:



I may need to go kill myself now, having watched that and remembering how obsessed I was with that video. I don't think I can, in good conscience, make any more comments about teenagers and Twilight.

No comments: