Tuesday, August 10, 2010

We're all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it, that's all.

I love living near the AFI Silver. They always have great independent films and rotate through classics. And by that, I mean that they're having an 80s fest. On Saturday, they showed The Breakfast Club, 16 Candles, and Weird Science. I can't resist that much John Hughes, so I went to The Breakfast Club. It was actually really impressive. There's something different about seeing a movie in the theater versus catching it on tv. You pay a lot more attention. Even knowing so much of it by heart, I still found new things.

For one thing, the acting is really impressive. Judd Nelson, particularly, is great, but all of the actors have moments where they shine. Their facial expressions are just dead on. And there are times when you look at these guys, and it's like...They're so young. Which, duh, but it really struck me at times.

There was a fair bit of "Oh, you are such teenagers," which is to be expected. If that weren't there, we wouldn't have related to it back then. (Obviously, as a 6-year-old when it was released, I totally got where they were coming from.) But really, that is how John Hughes related. But, "I think when we grow up, our hearts die"? Please.

What I really noticed was the focus on the characters' virginity. They talk about it a LOT. And though sex was important in high school, I don't think it was that huge a deal to be a virgin. At least, not among people I was friends with. It didn't ring false, really--I could see there being curiousity about Claire, and Brian lying about it also makes sense. But it really stood out to me.

It really stood up to time, I think. It wouldn't have to be changed much if it were made today, I think. I guess a lot of issues really are timeless.

No comments: