Tuesday, January 11, 2011

To make an impossible choice

New York Magazine is doing countdowns this week--greatest NY athlete, greatest NY tv show, etc. The one that interested me, of course, was greatest musical. Nora Ephron, Frank Rich, Jonathan Tunick, and George C. Wolfe debated the greatest American musical--I assume on Broadway, not off, but I'm not 100% clear. Anyway, that means no imports.

It's a fascinating discussion, and makes me want to see She Loves Me, which I am not even a little familiar with. I also now feel bad that I really don't know Porgy and Bess. I will, however, say that having seen Showboat somewhat recently, that its book is just not good and therefore should not be the greatest musical. I will accept the argument for it being the first. And I also totally agree with the uncomfortableness with Carousel due to the whole "Abuse is OK!" theme.

Also, having just read Broadway Musicals: The Biggest Hit & Biggest Flop of the Season, 1959-2009 (which was a fascinating read, by the way; I definitely recommend it if you're a fan of musicals), it's lovely to have Sondheim mentioned so much. Oh, Sondheim. All of his are my favorite.

Anyway, it boils down to this quote--why I love theater:

Wolfe: Wait, I’m confused because if you isolate the elements it’s not a musical. A musical is what happens when text collides with motion collides with song collides with spectacle. And spectacle can be the human heart; it doesn’t necessarily have to be a helicopter crashing. You can go see ballet in its purity; you can go to a recital to hear music by itself. But what the American musical does so thrillingly is bastardize these forms into something that is exhilarating and compelling and deeply moving.

No comments: