Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Over the quarterlife crisis

A number of years ago, I got excited when I heard about an upcoming show called quarterlife. In the midst of seeing Avenue Q and Garden State, I was all about 20-somethings cast adrift in life. It finally arrived. And boy, did it suck. My problem is that I can't tell whether I would've like it, say, 5 years ago. I'm not sure, because I was never a "I'm stuck in a dead-end job that stifles my creativity" person, and that's who this show seems to both be about and directed to.

I'm pretty sure I would've hated it. The characteres are idiots, particularly the lead character, Dylan. She seriously thought it'd be OK to do a video blog on her website about her friends, using their real names and detailing their lives and secrets? Really? And that it'd be a good idea to, in the middle of a staff meeting, say that her boss/superior stole her idea? I'm supposed to sympathize with this woman?

I had to turn it off in the middle of the show. I just could not take it anymore. There are times when I can watch shows full of characters who aren't sympathetic, but those shows have one thing this one didn't--good writing.

Edited to add that I needn't worry about this anymore; after only one episode, it's been cancelled.

No comments: