Saturday, March 1, 2008

Guiltiest pleasure

I admit it. I watch Big Brother. It's not something I'm particularly proud of, but I can't help myself. I started watching with Season 2, and honestly I should've stopped, because it's all been downhill since then. (Seriously, you cannot top Dr. Will that season.) For the past few seasons, I've started watching and then stopped partway through the season, unable to put up with the horribleness of the hamsters any longer. This frustration, to put it mildly, peaked last season with Dick, who more than lived up to his name. After reading of what he did on the live feeds and seeing what CBS showed--seeing the insanely favorable edit he got--I couldn't take it anymore.

And yet somehow I'm back. I'm keeping myself sane by not reading about the goings-on shown on the feeds (though, like everyone else, I couldn't help but hearing about the "orgy" the other night), and I don't know it's whether everyone pales in comparison to Dick or what, but I'm finding the current group nowhere near as bad as last year.

It may be other things, too. With everyone playing as teams, the game is going a lot faster. Plus, I get some odd pleasure at seeing it actually raining at the Big Brother house. It apparently rarely rains in LA during the summer, but that's not an issue during the winter. There's less of people wandering around solely in bathing suits (though some of that still happens), and I like watching the hammies shiver outside during competitions.

Yes, I realize it's wrong that the more the hamsters suffer, the more pleasure I get out of the show. But if you look at past America's Choices, I'm far from alone in that view.

No comments: