Monday, March 3, 2008

And in the end...what then?

I was listening to Revolver in the car today and my mind drifted to a place it frequently does when I'm listening to the Beatles: their ages. At some point, I realized that the oldest Beatles (John, Ringo) were only 30 when the band broke up. Actually, younger, since the band was pretty much over by January of 1970 (despite the release of Let It Be later that year), and John and Ringo were both born in 1940. (Paul was born in 1942; George in 1943.)

It blows my mind how young they were. I realize that obviously there are currently young rock/pop stars (e.g., anyone from the Disney Channel) and that there certainly were in the 60s, but it still blows my mind. By the time they were my age, these four guys had been part of the greatest band ever...and it had broken up. Whereas I have done...um...

No, I've done things, too. Just, you know, pretty much anything compares to being in the Beatles. Which is the obvious downside. How do move on with your life when you've hit such heights in your 20s? And I guess that's the up-side to not having been part of the best band ever. While I had a lovely and fairly productive youth and adolescence and young adulthood, I can probably top it. (Maybe.)

Not that John, Paul, George, and Ringo haven't done awesome things since 1970. (Yes, I like Wings. What of it?) But I just can't imagine that life.

No comments: