Wednesday, March 5, 2008

I could always go back and search for the alpaca

I finished Veronica Mars on Monday night, though I kept it going through last night by watching all of the extras on the last disc. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with my life. Good thing March is pretty full of travel and theater (and some work that I really should be doing, but keep putting off), and that baseball season is less than 3 weeks away.

Thoughts after completing it? Well, I'm very glad that I don't have to worry about stumbling across spoilers now. Obviously, I really enjoyed it. I loved the continuity, from little things like repeated callbacks to unicorns to much larger issues. It definitely gets props for not treating major events as if they happened in a vacuum; people have to deal with the consequences. I might not have always liked how they were handled (*cough*trial*cough*), but I appreciate that the show didn't just drop these threads. Of course, the continuation of these stories makes me want to go back and rewatch, just to see what I missed.

Ultimately, I don't necessarily find Veronica's journey, as a character, to be the most interesting--that would be Logan. Veronica isn't particularly likable a lot of the time (though she's certainly easier to relate to, perhaps, in the first couple of seasons). But man, she'd be cool to pal around with. Particularly since you know she won't burden you with her "feelings" and whatnot. (Downside: Close to Veronica = high chance of crappy stuff happening to you. Not quite as bad as your likelihood of being involved with a murder if you're friends with Jessica Fletcher, but still a definite possibility.)

I did watch the promo Rob Thomas and crew put together for the fourth season, with Veronica in the FBI. It just didn't work for me at all. Maybe it's because while I enjoy watching Veronica, I enjoy the other characters a lot, and the only familiar character was Veronica herself. I've heard that they talked about maybe bringing Logan in for a few episodes, but would Keith be in it? The Veronica-Keith relationship was the center of the show, really. I just don't know that it would be the same without him. Plus, it seems so abrupt to go from freshman year of college to being out of the Academy and already working for the FBI. If that's the way they would've gone, I'm almost glad it did last only three seasons.

Anyway, good times. With a very amusing fandom. I've laughed myself silly at this site about the Echolls' mystery alpaca. Now I just need to figure out what to do for the next few weeks. Maybe I'll rewatch Wonderfalls or Freaks and Geeks.

No comments: