Thursday, March 13, 2008

The more you face reality, the more you scar

I saw Kiss of the Spider Woman at the Signature tonight. I've known the music for a long time; back in high school, a friend gave me a copy of the cast recording--the one with Vanessa Williams and Brian Stokes Mitchell. (Side note: It wasn't until much later that I realized it was Brian Stokes Mitchell in it, when I realized that I recognized the anguished cry. He does the same thing in Ragtime.) I've never seen the movie, and while I knew the story, I wasn't terribly familiar with the book.

The production was really good. I have yet to be disappointed by anything I've seen at the Signature, and this was no exception. Sometimes I wonder whether I can see a musical and not like it, as I'm easily distracted by music (and shiny things), but then I remember The Life, which was a musical and sucked. There have been others I've seen that I was hardly enamored of, so I'm going to trust my judgement.

Obviously I knew and liked the music, and the cast did a great job. I was initially worried about Hunter Foster playing Molina a bit too gay (at times it seemed like he was playing Nathan Lane playing Molina), but either he tuned it down or I quickly accepted it as the character. (Which, honestly, it is.) Seriously, both he and Will Chase as Valentin were phenomenal; the atmosphere was positively electric at the climactic moment between them. (Also, Will Chase has the dark hair-blue eyes thing going on, which I cannot resist. That's neither here nor there, though.) (And lots of shirtless men!) (*cough*) And Natascia Diaz as Aurora totally won me over in the Russian movie sequence. Until then, I wasn't sure about her (she wasn't bad, but I wasn't overly impressed, either), but that section was great.

I was a bit disappointed with one of the actors. The problem may have been exacerbated by him messing up one of the very first lines of the show, and later muffing at least one or two more. So maybe it was just an off night for him. However, I've seen him in other stuff and can actually remember not being particularly impressed, so maybe it is him.

But other than that one guy, I really enjoyed it. Liked the staging, liked the acting (for the most part), thought the lighting was awesome--if a tad borderline cheesy during the song "Kiss of the Spider Woman." There was one song I wasn't familiar with, which I always find interesting. It seemed to particularly help move the plot along, so I wonder how they handled it before adding that song.

And now I have to get my hands on a copy of the recording. I still have the tape, but other than the stereo in my kitchen, I have no way of listening to it.

No comments: