Thursday, March 13, 2008

Kiss me...

I'm not a huge fan of public displays of affection. Holding hands can be cute, and the occasional hug is OK. Kissing? Well, a peck every now and then is fine. Obviously there are cases when more is more than that is totally acceptable (weddings, picking someone up at the airport), but in general, I don't want to see other people making out.

Except on tv or the movies. Then I love it. The other night I was watching something when two characters kissed and I got giddy. I've watched--multiple times--a montage of Veronica and Logan making out. After the season two finale of The Office, I went back and watched the big Jim-Pam kiss countless times. Thinking about the clothes fluke makes me smile. Watching the end of Bridget Jones's Diary, I yell at Bridget for shying away as Mark Darcy nuzzles her neck.

So...why? Maybe it's because I'm involved in the fictional relationships at a deeper level. After all, as a viewer, I get to see the major points of these relationships--the big moments. I'm certainly more invested in them than I am with a random couple on the Metro. Or maybe it's just that usually by the time the kiss happens, I'm nursing a crush on the guy and that watching the girl kiss him is a way to live vicariously.

It's probably a combination of the two. Plus, the people on tv and in the movies are generally prettier than the people I encounter in everyday life. That definitely makes it easier to take.

No comments: