Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Cake + tv = awesome

I LOVE Food Network Challenge. SO much. Especially the cake challenges. I caught one tonight that was a bit older, and it was interesting comparing it to the newer ones. They had to make a wedding cake for a couple, but unlike more recent competitions, the contestants got a little introductory video before the challenge--giving them plenty of time to design a cake specifically for the couple. A lot of time in these more recent challenges, since the contestants meet the couple (or whomever) right before the challenge, the contestants already have a design in mind that they might tweak a little to fit the cake recipient. In tonight's challenge, most of the cakes were designed specifically for the couple.

Naturally the couple picked one of the cakes that wasn't personalized at all.

It was also interesting that the episode had a lot of the judges discussing the taste of the cakes (and the judges reserved most of the negative comments for when the contestants weren't there) and literally no critiques of the design/look of the cakes at the end. The judges and couple commented on the design throughout the show, but nothing at the end, which is kind of annoying. It rubs me the wrong way when the contestants get judged for how the cake looks when still in progress. The professionals can comment on techniques, but a lot of the time, I want to be like, "Well, it might look like crap now, but can you wait a bit?" It kind of emphasized how the shows now focus a lot on what the cake looks like, but not necessarily what it tastes like.

And can I just say that if I were the cake beneficiary, I'd definitely want the contestants to know my preferences beforehand. The contestants tonight specifically chose cakes for the couple; the groom mentioned he likes blueberries, so one of the cakes had blueberries. Me? I like my cakes basic. Give me a white cake with chocolate filling. Don't give me raspberry buttercream. (I'm the same with cookies. Peanut butter? Chocolate chip? Sugar? Yes. Anything with fruit or coconut? No.)

Really, it's just interesting comparing an older one. Also interesting? No Kerry Vincent, and a different emcee.

No comments: