Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Could use more Jim-Pam kissing, though

I'm finding a lot of people's reactions to The Office season finale a bit confusing. There's a lot of "That was so depressing!" but I really can't tell why. A lot of people seem to be quite upset about the thwarting of Jim's proposal, and I can understand being disappointed--and I can understand why Pam was a bit upset; she was sure it was coming, and then it didn't--but I didn't think it left Jim and Pam in a bad place.

There seems to a belief that Jim and Pam's relationship is in a more tenuous place than it actually is. After the episode where Ryan warned Jim, people freaked out because Jim didn't tell Pam right that minute--even though it didn't make sense for him to tell her then. And lo and behold, it's obvious in the next episode that he did tell her, just at a more logical time. Pam hears about having to get training for graphic design in New York or Philadelphia? Oh noes! Well, except that Jim totally supports her taking classes in New York over the summer. Pam stated that the relationship was sound; I think she'll get over the disappointment of him not proposing when she thought he would (and if I were her, when the moment came that he turned to her and said, "Hey," I may have figured that something was up--and that Andy interrupted). I wouldn't be surprised to find them engaged come September/October; I just hope we get a flashback, because I do think that Jim will do it on Dunder Mifflin property.

I can see being a bit bummed about Toby leaving. I'm not pleased that they made him into a bit of a jerk in the last few episodes, but from interviews with the writers, it's obvious this was unintentional. I had no problem with Toby crushing on Pam, but I think the hand on her leg was a bit much. And he did seem to take it too far. But I still like Toby.

I was a bit concerned that it made it seem like Michael was justified in his hatred of Toby, but I don't think that's the case, and I think the finale showed that. I'm a bit bummed with the new HR woman; I had hoped that she was playing along with Michael, but it doesn't look like that's the case. Though I do admit that I found her whole bit with Kevin was highly amusing. And she did give us a nice moment of Michael being not completely bizarre, which is always good.

The only thing that didn't really make sense was Jan's pregnancy, but I'm willing to give that a pass...for the moment. But overall, the finale made me laugh, and I loved the tag. Awesome. The deterioration of Dwangela made me sad, so that totally made my night.

No comments: