Monday, May 26, 2008

"A Little Fall of Rain" will still kill me, I bet

Les Mis is my favorite musical. I've seen it eight times (plus once by a high school, but I really don't count that), and only the latest time seemed a bit different; it was after the revamp earlier this decade (not the revival; this was still the original run), and egregiously cut the "Drink With Me" reprise, among other things. I saw that it's coming to Wolftrap later this summer, and was flirting with the idea of seeing it again; after all, I haven't seen it since 2003.

And then I saw this article, about how Cameron Mackintosh is allowing some theaters--including one in Philadelphia--to completely restage the show. I just wish I could figure out what that involves, other than the lack of a turntable, the runaway cart done differently, and the barricade being one piece. The quote about telling the story in the "most expedient way" scares me a bit...unless that means cutting "Castle on a Cloud." (One can dream.) The glimpses in the article intrigue me.

For a while I've been thinking about heading up to Philly (I hear the new Constitution center is fantastic); this just gives me more motivation to get up there--and soon.

No comments: