Thursday, June 19, 2008

Gotta dance

I was sad to hear about the death of Cyd Charisse the other day. (Which, duh. I mean, who's happy to hear that someone died? Except, you know, for Osama bin Laden or someone.) There was a nice tribute to her in today's Post. My first exposure to her (...and Gene Kelly, now that I think about it) (well, except maybe on The Muppet Show) was the movie Brigadoon. Honestly, I remember more about an outfit she wore in that than anything else.

Then, at some point, I saw Singin' in the Rain. Which, my God. She's only in the "Broadway Melody" sequence, which has nothing to do with the plot of the movie but is an excuse for a 20 minute dance interlude. At first it kind of annoyed me, but I've really grown to appreciate it. This is the second part of the sequence, which starts with a lovely shot of those $5 million legs...



(And while not really on-topic, can I just say that the look Gene Kelly gives her at around 4:30 totally makes me melt? Holy crow. Seriously, in my version of heaven, I get to dance with Gene Kelly. And since it's heaven, I'm really good and can keep up with him. Love him.)

I'm happy to see the return of movie musicals, and am super excited for Mamma Mia this summer, but we'll never see the likes of Astaire, Rogers, Kelly, and Charisse again, methinks.

No comments: