Friday, June 6, 2008

A new addiction and ruminations on boys

I've known about Doctor Who for a while, but have managed to mostly avoid catching an episode. Not on purpose or anything, and I'd heard that the latest series is pretty good. The time travel aspects always interested me; I mean, he goes back in time! That's awesome! In any case, I wound up catching "Human Nature" and "The Family of Blood," which are set in England in 1913. And it was fantastic. It's interesting, because I know little to nothing of the mythology of the show, but it's still pretty enjoyable.

Anyway, after watching that two-parter, I kind of didn't want to see another episode. For one thing, those episodes were really good. To the point where I was like, "Why watch another episode? It won't be as good as those." I've since realized the foolishness of that viewpoint. Good Lord. I certainly don't insist on quality in shows I watch (I have the recent ABC Family movie Princess waiting on my DVR to watch), and God knows that even if the rest of the run isn't as good as those two episodes, it'll still be pretty darn good.

The other reason is that this is totally the type of show I can imagine getting a bit obsessive over, a bad habit of mine. I mean, it's on all the time, between Sci Fi and BBC America. This can't happen. I'm still not completely done with Veronica Mars, and that started for me in...February or so. But I did wind up watching another episode tonight, and I have, like, four or five waiting on my DVR. Completely sucked in.

So I watching the episode tonight and found myself, not surprisingly, totally giggling about how cute David Tennant is. Nice eyes! Great dimples! Fab glasses! Seems tallish! Cute smile! Only 7 years older than me! And British! (Seriously. British men are totally my weakness. Love 'em.)

Which led me to thinking about the shows I watch, and how much I watch them because of cute boys. I'd probably obsess over Veronica Mars a lot less if it weren't for Jason Dohring as Logan Echolls. But then, that's really about good characterization, in addition to him being brutally hot. (Seriously, check "An Echolls Family Christmas" if you don't believe me.) I certainly have enough tv boyfriends, the big question is: Do I watch the shows because of them, or are they just a nice bonus?

It's a combination of the two. I did manage to come up with a show that I really like, but don't crush on anyone (How I Met Your Mother; while I'd love to date someone like Ted, I don't giggle over Josh Radnor). I do think it's a combination of good writing/stories and cute boys, with the emphasis on the substance of the show. Because there certainly are shows with guys I like that I haven't stuck with. So I kind of feel better about myself. I'm not that shallow. Just fairly shallow.

No comments: