Tuesday, June 24, 2008

So, it'll be I Love Last Year?

It's 2008, right? So we're still in the first decade of the millennium, correct? I'm just double-checking because VH1 has decided to air I Love the New Millennium. I thought that's what Best Week Ever essentially is--they saw how much people enjoyed I Love the 80s, and decided to do one every week. I caught the 2000 one on Sunday night. It was weird. Well, particularly weird, since I had spent the evening importing CDs that consisted of the mp3s I had, um, obtained during college. So after spending a night hearing songs from around 1999 and 2000, I watched a whole show about the year 2000.

I'd actually be interested to see the episode for 2001 and 2002. At least for 2001, you can discuss the first two-thirds of the year with no problem. But for the later part of the year, and then for 2002 and 2003 (and so on, really), you have to deal with the ramifications of 9/11. At one point in the 2000 episode, someone made a comment like, "This was before 9/11 and the death of irony," and I guess it is possible to go back and look at the direct effects and laugh a bit, but it's still kind of odd. Obviously not everything in most people's lives since then has been affected. But it just seems a bit...off. I don't know. It's kind of crazy to think how much Sept. 11 touches us, even almost 7 years later.

(And no, I'm not watching the 2001 episode right now, even though it's on. I'm flipping between the Orioles-Cubs game and Wipeout [to be followed by I Survived a Japanese Game Show] [which are deserving of their own entry]).

No comments: