Monday, June 23, 2008

All I need is Love

I just saw All Together Now, a documentary about the making of Love, the Cirque de Soleil/Beatles show. I bought the CD when it came out and really enjoyed it, and always thought that I'd want to see the show. But after seeing the bits in the movie, man, I have to see it. I have absolutely no desire to go to Vegas, but I kind of want to go for one night, just to see this show. Like, fly out one morning, see the show, and fly back. From what I saw, and what a friend who saw it said (and she's not even a big Beatles fan), it would totally be worth it.

The movie itself was worthwhile, too. I'm a bit bummed I saw it close the festival instead of opening it, when some of the folks involved with the movie and the show were at the screening. My only real problem with it was that it was set up that if one member of the creative group--which included Paul, Ringo, Yoko, and Olivia Harrison--didn't like something, that was enough to axe it. And after seeing a rehearsal, Yoko had some pretty definite negative opinions about an element of the show, but we never got to see how they were resolved. There was a hint later; it did show the bit of the show in a later incarnation, but it was hard to tell how much had changed. Exploring the tension a bit more might've been nice.

But honestly, I can't complain too much. I can never object to spending 90 minutes listening to Beatles music and learning about a venture that combines theater and the Beatles. It completely reconfirmed Ringo as my favorite Beatle. And it was too weird seeing Dhani Harrison, who looks a lot like his father. Seeing him watch clips of his father and tearing up...poor kid. I really just wanted to give a bunch of these people a hug, and I don't even know why. A thank you?

One moment that stood out for me was in an early rehearsal, when they were doing "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," there are pieces of paper floating around, and a large screen said something like, "No War" or "End War," and all I could think of was 9/11, and those pieces of paper floating down from the collapsed World Trade Center. I wonder whether that was intentional; I'd have to see it more in context to know.

So if someone wants to send me to Vegas, that'd be awesome. Thanks!

No comments: