Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I want to work at The Agency!

I admit it. I LOVE Scarecrow and Mrs. King. So much, I love it. I have, in my (very bored) days, even read SMK fanfic. The possibility of meeting a spy and getting involved in his wacky adventures may have been a subconscious part of my decision to live in the DC metro area. I spent a very pleasant summer watching reruns, and a friend and I in college bonded over this seminal show.

So I was psyched to see a blog post comparing the ratings of SMK to those of American Idol:
In its highest-rated season (the spring of 2006), American Idol averaged a household rating of 17.6. This means that 17.6 percent of television-owning households were watching. In the 1986-1987 season, Scarecrow managed a 17.4.

Fascinating! Definitely check out the comments for the weaknesses in the author's arguments, but I was still pumped to see this. First of all, there aren't near enough references to SMK these days. I remain upset that it's not on DVD. (A travesty, people!)

I will take a moment to point out one of things that I really admire about that show. It was on four seasons, and the sexual tension between Lee and Amanda was there from the second episode, in which they had to pose as a married couple. And man, the way they handled the relationship was kind of fantastic. You see them flirt, and you see them allude to their relationship (once it begins), but it never takes over the show. You see it develop, but it doesn't hit you over the head. It's cute, but never too cute. It's such a fine line to walk, and so kudos to you, people who made Scarecrow and Mrs. King.

Now seriously. Spies. Call me.

No comments: