Thursday, August 28, 2008

Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps

I just finished watching Coupling, the British sitcom. I wasn't sure that I would like it; I watched the first episode of the American one, and wasn't really thrilled with it. But again, British humor doesn't necessarily translate directly. I certainly spent the first season of the US The Office wishing I were watching the British one. And most of the characters on Coupling really need to be handled delicately--they walk a fine line between really annoying and likeable. Also, while sex certainly can be funny, I just wasn't sure that a show where every episode revolved around it would be my cup of tea.

Well, it was. I quite enjoyed it. I actually could see myself hanging out with some of these people. And it was laugh-out-loud funny. Plus, it tended to play with the format--kind of like How I Met Your Mother. Which came later, so I wonder whether its creators watched Coupling. HIMYM tended to play more with time, though, which Coupling certainly did as well. Both have fantasy sequences and the like, but Coupling also did things like split screens and whole sequences mostly in a foreign language. (It worked in context, trust me.) Things like seeing the same events from the eyes of multiple characters, playing with flashbacks...I love that stuff.

So I definitely recommend checking it out. I also might have to add Jack Davenport's character Steve to my list of tv boyfriends. (You know, like in a personal ad: "I'm looking for a guy like Jim from The Office, J.D. from Scrubs, Ted from How I Met Your Mother, Joe from Wings, Xander from Buffy--or some combination thereof. Or David Tennant. Call me, David!")

No comments: