Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Round-up

It's not that I'm not partaking of any entertainment lately. I am. Just nothing particularly inspiring (though I did do the dance of joy when Dan won Big Brother last night--and even more so when Keesha won the Juror Prize; woo!). So what have I been up to lately?

  • I'm in the middle of three books: Ghost Map, Invisible Cities, and Baseball Between the Numbers. I'm enjoying Ghost Map the most; interesting topic (cholera!), good writing, fascinating people. Plus, history and London. Win win! Invisible Cities is more enjoyable than I thought it would be; in general, I'm not a huge fan of abstract writing. But the descriptions of some of the cities are quite fun. Baseball Between the Numbers is best read in small doses, with some skimming when the numbers get a bit too dense. Some of the revelations are interesting, but I fear that I'm not retaining much.
  • I haven't stopped watching tv. Maybe at some point I'll write about the shows I'm watching; Privileged, for example, is cute, but I have a feeling that unless I remember to season pass it on my DVR, I'll totally forget about it.
  • Haven't seen any movies lately. The last thing I watched from Netflix was a DVD of extras to a season of Dr. Who. Right now, I have Catch-22 and Mad Hot Ballroom out.
  • Signature is doing a production of Les Mis. As you can imagine, I am through the roof. Signature + Les Mis = WIN. I'm so psyched for this. And they're doing backstage tours! Holy crow! Made of awesome! The only thing that might make it better would be if Will Gartshore were in it, but I don't know who he could play--he's a bit too old for the students, I think.
  • There are some other productions coming up I'm excited about--Ragtime at the Kennedy Center, Grey Gardens at the Studio, Arcadia at the Folger. It's a good theater season. Altar Boyz is at the Bethesda Theatre, and I'm thinking of checking that out.
  • I need to make it to the Newseum and see the FBI exhibit. I have until next June, at least.

No comments: