Saturday, December 20, 2008

"I'm one of them."

So I was thinking about why I'm so interested in the Grantaire-Enjolras-Marius relationship in Les Mis. There are a few reasons.

One is that at this point, I've seen the show [Mr. Rooney voice]nine times[/Mr. Rooney voice]. It's one of more dynamic elements in the show; it varies greatly from performance to performance.

Another is that at the height of my obsession, I subscribed to a zine about the show, called The Barricade, which was done by Sharon Taylor who is awesome and sent me tapes of Michael Ball and Anthony Warlow. I think I still have some of those issues. Anyway. I read a bunch of analyses of this relationship in there, and now I can't help but look for it myself.

The third I realized the other night, when I was flipping through my copy of the novel. It's all about Enjolras's death scene...which follows. Keep in mind while reading this that Grantaire has spent pretty much the entire battle passed out, drunk, in the cafe.
Relegated, as he was, to one corner, and sheltered behind the billiard-table, the soldiers whose eyes were fixed on Enjolras, had not even noticed Grantaire, and the sergeant was preparing to repeat his order: "Take aim!" when all at once, they heard a strong voice shout beside them:

"Long live the Republic! I'm one of them."

Grantaire had risen. The immense gleam of the whole combat which he had missed, and in which he had had no part, appeared in the brilliant glance of the transfigured drunken man.

He repeated: "Long live the Republic!" crossed the room with a firm stride and placed himself in front of the guns beside Enjolras.

"Finish both of us at one blow," said he.

And turning gently to Enjolras, he said to him: "Do you permit it?"

Enjolras pressed his hand with a smile.

This smile was not ended when the report resounded.

Enjolras, pierced by eight bullets, remained leaning against the wall, as though the balls had nailed him there. Only, his head was bowed.

Grantaire fell at his feet, as though struck by a thunderbolt.

Beautiful. How can you not want to watch these guys after reading that?

No comments: