Sunday, December 28, 2008

Deserving of two Best Actor nods

I just got back from seeing Frost/Nixon. I had been intrigued by the play, but never saw it, and by the time it came to DC, the movie was so close to opening that I decided to save myself a bunch of money and just see the movie. Plus, Michael Sheen. Also, I saw it for free because my dad paid for it. Win win!

The movie was very good. Gripping story, excellent acting all around (just watch their eyebrows; it's phenomenal). It's amazing how tense I get watching movies like this. I mean, I know what Nixon will ultimately say, but I still become convinced that maybe he won't! The odds are against it. It's like with 1776. Obviously, the Congress declares independence from Great Britain and passes the Declaration of Independence. But I watch it every year and every year I'm like, "It doesn't look like it'll work!" I'm going to say that that smacks of good storytelling, not that I'm gullible. Though I'm not ruling that out.

What was annoying was the woman who, when Nixon gave his "I'm saying that when the President does it, it's not illegal" line, immediately said "George W. Bush!" very loudly. Completely ruined the moment, which was just incredibly well done. I mean, lady, I think everyone in the theater could see the parallels to the current administration, and it's not like I totally disagree, but shut up. It was made even more annoying by the fact that she was obviously just waiting for that moment. Give it a rest, lady.

So that's an unqualified recommendation. Also, Slumdog Millionaire was quite good as well. Darker than you'd expect, but somehow manages to leave you very happy.

No comments: