Monday, February 16, 2009

I'm not going to get into my thoughts on the book itself

I had heard about the cute trailer for He's Just Not That Into You, and I finally got around to watching it tonight. (You can view it here, by clicking on "Click here for the Top 10 Chick Flick Cliches not found in the movie".) It was, I admit, pretty darn cute, though I do already have very fond feelings for Bradley Cooper, leftover from Alias and I Want to Marry Ryan Banks. I have mixed feelings about Justin Long; I liked him on Ed, but dislike the Mac commercials (though that hasn't made me dislike John Hodgman; of course, I like Hodgman much more than Long in those commercials). I have no opinion of Kevin Connolly. But anyway.

So I was watching the trailer and enjoying it, but then I started wondering about the audience. Ostensibly it's for guys who are reluctant to see chick flick with their girlfriends/dates. The trailer consists of the three guys acting out chick flick cliches, which means that in a few of the clips, they're each other's love interest--there aren't any girls in the trailer. So I was trying to figure out how the target audience for this would react. At first I figured that they would laugh; you know, "Heh, those guys are acting gay!" But then I wondered whether this audience would be uncomfortable with it--like the guys who hate when a movie that's included scenes of full-frontal nudity of women also has a brief shot of a guy's naked butt. I honestly don't know.

No comments: