Sunday, February 22, 2009

No, seriously. Just don't buy it.

I saw Confessions of a Shopaholic today and quite enjoyed it--more than I thought I would. I've read all of the books and though this was quite different, it was still good. A bit more slap-sticky, but good. I'm a bit disappointed that they moved it from London to New York, particularly since I can't quite tell why. Does Yves St. Laurent not have stores in London? I find that hard to believe. Plus, Hugh Dancy is British. Isla Fisher isn't American. Why the change? I can understand why they made some of the changes they did (including making Luke Becky's boss--I don't like the change, it's a bit icky--but I get why they did it), but I hate when movie versions of books make random changes like that. Maybe New York is cheaper to film in? Anyway. Isla Fisher was really appealing, as was Hugh Dancy, and even the three random middle-aged guys who were there seemed to enjoy it. So I recommend it. The books can be frustrating at times, but I like Sophie Kinsella's books, so if not these books, pick up one of her other books. The nice thing about the movie is that there's less time to be frustrated by Becky's actions ("Stop buying things!").

No comments: