Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Craigslist: Not just for residents!

There was a really good story in the Post on Sunday about the actors who are in the touring companies of shows. It's a life I cannot even imagine--constantly being in new places, having empty days. It's nice to hear that DC is a good town to play, but I never even thought about some of the intricacies. I mean, they rent apartments! I guess I just imagined they'd stay in hotels? I bet they do in some places; a lot of cities, shows are only there for a week. But maybe even there, the company (and crew) rents an apartment. Or stay at, say, a Residence Inn. I didn't really think about it, but I guess I thought that someone with the show coordinated where everyone stayed. It's weird to think about per diems and stuff with shows. Worlds colliding, I guess.

I do remember seeing the blog of a cast member of...Avenue Q? Putnam County Spelling Bee? (I saw the two of these within weeks of each other a couple years back.) The show was in town during Halloween, and some cast members went into Georgetown for the night. It was another interesting glimpse into that life. It's probably not what people think of when they imagine being an actor...and though it does sound cool, for me, it would get real old real quick.

No comments: