Sunday, June 21, 2009

This is why I don't listen to that many commentaries

I've been watching The Adventures of Pete & Pete on DVD lately. I loved that show in college, so it's been fun to go back and watch again. It's an odd show; it's one that's definitely set in its own universe--maybe a bit ahead of its time. It also has a great guest cast--Steve Buscemi, Janeane Garafalo, Michelle Trachtenberg, Rick Gomez (Luz from Band of Brothers!), Bebe Neuwirth, and so on.

Anyway, one of the recurring themes is whether the older Pete, who's in maybe 9th grade, and his best friend Ellen will get together. They keep coming close, then backing off. Over and over. I can't remember whether it's ever resolved. Anyway, last night I got to my favorite episode (and, as it turns out, the favorite episode of the series creators), "Yellow Fever," about a bus ride to field trip. (It includes one of my favorite lines ever: "Passengers will refrain from killing my soul. Thank you.") And it had commentary! I was hoping they would discuss the Pete-Ellen relationship.

Unfortunately, they didn't. The issue is that they recorded the commentary fairly recently, 10+ years after the show was actually made. So there was a lot of reminiscing about the actors, and much less about the plot of the show. I got frustrated after the first 10 minutes, so maybe they did address their feelings about Pete and Ellen, and I just missed it.

But still. Some backstage info is fun, but I like getting the creators' take on, you know, the plot. Sigh.

No comments: