Thursday, March 6, 2008

Murderobilia

There was an interesting story in the Washington Post today about people who collect mementos from serial killers. The story fascinated me, partly because reading it, I was thinking about how I'd totally buy something John Wilkes Booth-related if I could find and afford it. That somehow seems different, but I can't quite pinpoint why. I'm not sure whether it's because Booth wasn't a serial killer, because the Lincoln assassination was so long ago, because Booth's not in jail and getting money from anything, or what. Maybe it's because I regard the Lincoln assassination as an important moment in history, whereas the acts of a serial killer, while horrifying, didn't change America in a major way.

On the other hand, I do find serial killers fascinating. I read true crime books, I watch tv programs on them, I thought Zodiac was a really good movie. But I can't imagine having a drawing done by John Wayne Gacy; that creeps me out. (Not as much as reading Helter Skelter did, though.)

So where is that line between murderabilia and an interest? Where does an interest become a desire to collect things done by someone who has murdered (and possibly done worse) to people? Does it make a difference if the victim is famous, or if there's only one victim (as opposed to many)?

And should the people who collect this sort of thing be shunned? How far should legislative bodies go to prevent it?

No comments: