Saturday, January 3, 2009

2008 in Review: Books

I admit to being something of a compulsive list-maker, which means that I keep track of what I read and watch in any given year. Well, not totally for the "watch" part; I only track movies that I've seen for the first time, and don't include tv shows I've gotten from Netflix or bad tv movies I watch on Sunday afternoons. I also keep track of plays I see. (And all the actors, so I can cross-reference. Yes, I am that insane, but it's really helpful!)

Anyway, here's the list of books I read in 2008. Asterisks indicate it's a book I've read before, and I've bolded the ones that stood out for me. I read 61 books, down from 66 in 2007.

Watching Baseball Smarter: A Professional Fan's Guide for Beginners, Semi-experts, and Deeply Serious Geeks (Hample)
Arthur & George (Barnes)
Witch Week (Jones)*
Something Borrowed (Giffin)
Something Blue (Giffin)
Ghosts of Everest: The Search for Mallory & Irvine (Hemmleb, Johnson, Simonson)
High Exposure: An Enduring Passion for Everest and Unforgiving Places (Breashears)
Never Let Me Go (Ishiguro)
Then We Came to the End (Ferris)
Thursday Next: First Among Sequels (Fforde)
Holes (Sachar)
Good Omens (Pratchett & Gaiman)
She Went All the Way (Cabot)
Northanger Abbey (Austen)*
Macbeth (Shakespeare)*
Nineteen Minutes (Picoult)
Bonfire of the Vanities (Wolfe)
The Callendar Papers (Voigt)*
High Crimes: The Fate of Everest in an Age of Greed (Kodas)
Goodnight Nobody (Weiner)
Booth: A Novel (Robertson)
The Road (McCarthy)
The Boy Who Loved Anne Frank (Feldman)
Stet: An Editor's Life (Athill)
I Was Told There'd Be Cake (Crosley)
Neptune Noir: Unauthorized Investigations into Veronica Mars (Thomas)
The Chocolate Lovers' Club (Matthews)
Certain Girls (Weiner)
Revolutionary Road (Yates)
Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex (Roach)
The Monk (Lewis)
Queen of Babble Gets Hitched (Cabot)
Bitter is the New Black (Lancaster)
Living on the Black: Two Pitchers, Two Teams, One Season to Remember (Feinstein)
Confederates in the Attic: Dispatches From the Unfinished Civil War (Horwitz)
Remember Me? (Kinsella)
Baby Proof (Giffin)
Five Things I Can't Live Without (Shumas)
Catch-22 (Heller)
Ella Minnow Pea (Dunn)
Invisible Cities (Calvino)
The Ghost Map (Johnson)
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (Shaffer & Barrows)
Bright Lights, Big Ass (Lancaster)
Chain Letter (Pike)
Last Chance to See (Adams & Carwardine)
Slam (Hornby)
Murder at the Palace (Roosevelt)
Home: A Memoir of My Early Years (Andrews)
I Love You, Beth Cooper (Doyle)
A Few Seconds of Panic: A 5'8", 170 lb, 43-Year-Old Sportswriter Plays in the NFL (Fatsis)
Ready or Not (Cabot)
Teen Idol (Cabot)
Baseball Between the Numbers: Why Everything You Know About Baseball Is Wrong (Baseball Prospectus)
The Watchmen (Moore)
Someday My Prince Will Come: True Adventures of a Wannabe Princess (Fine)
Literacy and Longing in L.A. (Kaufman & Mack)
Such a Pretty Fat (Lancaster)
A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again (Wallace)
Cruise Confidential: A Hit Below the Waterline (Bruns)
Julie & Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen (Powell)

No comments: