Monday, December 8, 2008

I hope someday you'll join us


I think my iTunes is psychic. Or it knows what day it is. When I opened it, it played "Watching the Wheels," and now it's playing "Not a Second Time." Why is that significant? One's a John Lennon song, the others a Beatles song. And today is December 8, the 28th anniversary of John's death.

I've spent the past 20 years or so in love with the Beatles. John's never been my favorite, but man, the guy is fascinating. And I always like to stop and remember him today.

One of my favorite memories is when some friends and I went to New York City in December of 2001--7 years ago today, in fact. I insisted on dragging my friends to Central Park, to the Imagine mosaic in Strawberry Fields. And, since it was both the anniversary of John's death and just after George's death, there was a large group there, standing, singing. It was fantastic. So moving. And so something John would want.

No comments: